FREE e-scribe now!

This week’s edition!

No permits unless taxes are paid

From Town of Gorham

GORHAM – Property owners in Gorham who need a permit for changes to their property must first pay any outstanding taxes, under an ordinance passed by the Town Council in November.

The ordinance establishes conditions for the issuance of all licenses, permits, and other approvals from the Town of Gorham.

The ordinance calls for applicants to be denied approval if the owner or lessee of the property or building has any outstanding real estate or personal property taxes due to the town.

The November ordinance covers permits related to zoning regulations, subdivisions, site plan review, massage establishment and massage therapist regulations, mobile home parks, marijuana cultivation or manufacturing facilities, victualers (anyone selling prepared food, such as restaurants, caterers, and mobile vending units), the optional program for local building plan review, historic preservation, special amusements, fire suppression systems, fraternity and sorority houses, variance requests for vacant properties, and large outdoor events.

There are some exceptions, such as taxes that are less than 30-days past due and under $250, or that are determined by the Town Manager’s office not to be owed by the applicant or property owner. The Town Council may waive the requirements if an applicant makes a written request to show good cause for the waiver.

The ordinance sets aside the requirement to allow for approval for permits necessitated by the disability of the applicant or property owner.

The ordinance, titled “Municipal License Ordinance”, can be found at:

Leave a Reply

Contact Us!

Sales Office:
28 State Street
Gorham, ME 04038

Mailing Address:
89 Union Street, Suite 1014
Auburn, ME 04210

(207) 558-8488

Connect with Us on...
Gorham Weekly on Facebook Gorham Weekly on Instagram Gorham Weekly on Twitter